Friday, December 5, 2008

Ambika

That morning the lift had decided to stay shut. The protesters stood there trying all possible passwords to get it to open. But I decided to take the shortcut, the stairs. It was like old times again, counting the steps, stopping for breath on the landings and running out of breath just as I reached office. It reminded me of my childhood when an elevator was a luxury and the stairway, the only way. We played all kinds of games on it, sliding down the railing, jumping over steps and other games we invented on the spot. Well, there’s no time for that now, there’s no time for most of the things that we did when we were little. Nonetheless, it was a good workout. If I took the stairs everyday, I could probably avoid the stepper in the gym. And if I could take the stairs everywhere, I could probably even avoid the gym.
I’ve been taking the stairs ever since. Trust me, it might take a few extra minutes to climb and a couple of seconds of breathlessness, but it has saved me from many elevator mishaps and helped me lose more than a pound. I hope you stumble on this humble stairway sometime.
- A Stair Lover


(poster near a staircase)

No comments:

Post a Comment