Sunday, December 7, 2008

Parker

It was 1 am on a Monday morning, there weren't too many vehicles on the road. Most people slept peacefully trying to escape the reality of the week ahead. I stood in the corner that I'd stood in from the time I could remember. I wasn't in the best of shapes, my paint was fading and a couple of bricks were loose. It was in a busy part of the town and no one paid much attention to me. Except maybe the groundnuts vendor who sat in my shade. But he had long gone home, leaving behind a small pile of discarded shells. There were still a few late night revelers scurrying past.

Among them was a couple who caught my attention. They seemed so distant, so in love. They obviously didn't care about what time of day it was. They were holding hands and walking by themselves. Like lovers everywhere, they were in a world of their own. As they reached me, they leaned against me kissing.

The boy whispered gently "I will always love you darling and this December when I get a raise we'll get married nothing too grand, just a few close people". She whispered back, "I love you too". They were so contented and full of dreams that they never saw it coming.

But I think I heard it before them. The loud screech that broke the silence of the night. Careening wildly out of control a swanky convertible filled with twenty-somethings screamed around the corner. One of them threw an empty scotch bottle on me shattering it to a million fragments. And were headed straight for the lovers, who stood transfixed too stunned to move. Like two startled deer.

The car rammed straight into them - dead center. Spinning their bodies like rag dolls and slamming them once again onto me.


The car screamed off into the night with a dent on its fender, leaving behind 2 blotches of blood and two bodies inseparable in death.



(poster on a wall)

No comments:

Post a Comment